Monday, February 21, 2011

Week 7 - "You Don't Love Nobody Else But Yourself" b/w "Some Things Never Change"

Before I start yapping about this week's single, please notice that there are now two ads on the page (on the right side and directly under the first blog). Please click on those! Most of the ads I've seen here have been pretty interesting and usually music related. It only takes a couple seconds to click on them and would help me out greatly (and cost you NOTHING). Ok now...
7 weeks and 14 songs! You know how this works (unless you don't), just use the embedded player below to listen to and/or download this week's songs or if embeded players make you uncomfortable then follow the link to my bandcamp site which is right here: http://michaelmorse.bandcamp.com/album/single-a-week-challenge-week-7



There's no big story behind this week's songs so this will thankfully be a shorter blog! They both work well as my week after Valentine's Day single.

"You Don't Love Nobody Else But Yourself" is one of my favorite songs I've written so far in this challenge. It's a fun song but still has a little venom in it, something I'm sure I've stolen from young Bob Dylan. It's the first time I've used a high falsetto (I guess that's what it is) in a song I've written. I like the contrast created switching between the high and lower voice and will probably try it again sometime.

Hey, Mr. Tamborine Drum...
I recorded the vocals, guitar, bass and later the organ with relative ease. The drums however are another story. Every time I try to put drums on a song, it becomes painfully clear I am not a drummer. I'm sure with practice I could get better however the window in which I can do that is very small as I do not live in a drum friendly neighborhood. Is there such a thing? Just in case you didn't know, real drums are VERY LOUD and the older people that live around me have no reservations about calling the police or the town when something bothers them. I work best at night but I can't drum at night. It is extremely frustrating for me trying to create something and having the trivial restriction of time of day get in the way of that. I hope soon I can motivate myself to get ahead in the recordings so that I can actually spend time on the drums. I managed to get a drum take that while not perfect, is livable. The only thing left to add was the organ which was no problem at all (at least not compared with the hell that was the drums).

The B-side "Some Things Never Change" is a song I started over a year ago but never finished (until now that is). It's a little repetitive but I think it goes with the subject matter, one sided love. I'm very pleased with the lines "I feel you drift away, I see that you're bored as I reach out for the notes that make up the chord".
organ...and creeping lady hand?
After the very easy recording of the vocals and first guitar I wasn't really sure what to do with the song. Thankfully I didn't think drums were necessary for it (!) and neither was a bass guitar but it needed something. I looked to my trusty old half-working Yamaha organ's pedals to add some bottom. I intentionally played a pedal that was a half-step off of the corresponding guitar note when changing chords for the slight warble it created and added touches of the top keyboard vibraphone. After recording it I turned the track's reverb all the way up which did something very weird to the sound. The drum hit you might be able to hear at the end was created accidentally when I cut off the reverb-heavy organ's mic  I didn't want to add a second vocal track but during the playback I started doubling some of the lines in a low almost whispery voice which I think really added something interesting. Next and final was the second, higher guitar which I put through my under used flange effect pedal which added some extra strangeness and distracts from (what some might think excessive) repeats of the "some things never change line". Aw, the addition.
The all-seeing blue flanger eye!
With Valentine's day being the day before the intended single release date and both songs being about a lack of love, an empty heart-shaped candy box seemed perfect for the cover. The empty heart works as a great metaphor for the songs. Whoa, I'm clever! Also the kitten on the box is just so cute.
Awwwwwww look at the kitten!
If you're listening to the songs every week and reading this please tell your friends and tell me too! And please click on the ads! I'm sick of writing this now so that's it!

7 down, 45 to go!

MJM

http://michaelmorse.bandcamp.com/album/single-a-week-challenge-week-7

1 comment:

  1. I feel for you with that drummer story. That's gotta be frustrating for you, but I'm sure you understand the neighbor's point of view. It sucks that good soundproofing is super-expensive. What's the deal with those electronic drum pads? They're not nearly as loud, although I don't know how they record.

    'You Don't Love Nobody Else But Yourself' has a catchy guitar part. Not sure if i like the falsetto, as it takes some of the power out of your voice. I imagine as you get more confident using it, that could be strengthened. I know you're also looking for some constructive criticism here too. I do like the idea of you stretching your voice...so keep it up.

    I honestly like 'Some Things Never Change' best of this week's 2 tracks. Like the stripped-down, dark feel to it. It surprised me coming after the songs you've posted in this 'challenge'...in a good way. It's nice to see the growing variety in your writing!

    ReplyDelete